Wednesday, April 30, 2008

12 pounds

I have to be honest - I've gained some weight. I'm guessing about 12 pounds. At 20 weeks maybe it should be little less, but I'm taking care of myself. I eat right (most of the time) and I'm staying pretty active. I drink tons of water and take prenatal vitamins and fish oil every night.

I find this whole pregnancy weight gain thing pretty fascinating. I spent most of my life cursing the scale if the numbers on it start going up and patting myself on the back if they start going down. Now that I'm pregnant, my relationship with the scale has completely changed. I see the numbers getting higher and higher and I think...okay...that is...fine. I haven't totally accepted this shift and I don't know if I ever will, but it's gotten better. I feel a whole lot less guilty about my indulgences. This past weekend I happily devoured my lunch of a crepe with strawberries, bananas and Nutella. It was divine. The next day I wasn't embarrassed about ordering dessert after breakfast. How am I supposed to leave Auntie Em's without eating a mini red velvet cupcake? As my brother-in-law would say: I mean come on. That's not to say that I don't look in the mirror sometimes and get frustrated with my growing waistline. It's big and it's going to get bigger. Okay...that is...fine.

So, I'm trying to embrace this short chapter in my life and enjoy it for what it is. Sunny is healthy and getting bigger everyday and that's a good thing. She also clearly wants the occasional delicious treat and who am I to deny her?

No comments: